Monday, September 26, 2011

Is it ?

When peace like a river attendeth my way...when sorrows like sea billows roll...whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say...it is well...with my soul.   or is it?

"woke up this mornin' with my mind...staaayyyyyed on Jesuuuuus"...did i? did u? and if we sing along...when the rest of the congretation sings...are we lying?

I guess what i'm sayin' is...the songs are nice...the melodies beautiful, and at the right church.....it's a joyful noise, indeed...or...is it?  We sing songs cuz our grandmothers sang them. We clap...cuz the drum is playin'....and we dance...we dance if sister so and so is dancin cuz..." i dont want her to think i ain't saved "...." God forbid she find out i'm goin' thru somethin'"...at some point, i cant say when...the songs became real for me..." i've had some good days..." the groanings which cannot be uttered became my mantra...and the closed eyes and chin tilted upward my permanent position.  " I sing because i'm happy..."

The gap between black folk 'praisin' Him' and 'white folks worship'...slimmed till it was bridged and i became preoccupied with songs of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment